B. Statement of Intent
For my Dramatic Reading video I chose a 22 line excerpt from Act 5 Scene 1. This excerpt was mainly a dialogue between Iago and Roderigo but included a short soliloquy at the end. In the beginning of the excerpt I chose a very comforting but stern tone for Iago. This was because Iago was trying to further convince Roderigo that he was making the right decision. Iago had to convince Roderigo that he needed to start a fight with Cassio. But little did Roderigo know that whether he or Cassio dies Iago will benefit. Iago speaks of this towards the end of the excerpt which is when I chose a more sneaky tone. Roderigo most likely felt scared and unsure which are the tones I chose for him.
From this excerpt I truly was able to understand how conniving and manipulative Iago was. He knew exactly which buttons to push on each person in the story. He knew what he needed to say to make Roderigo fight Cassio. Roderigo was just a chess piece for Iago that couldn't think for himself or realize when he was being played.
The use of soliloquy's throughout the story provide very useful information to the viewer. This moves the plot in a positive direction for Iago but his evil plans aren't known by the characters in the play. If the characters had somehow caught on to Iago's plan as the audience knew perhaps they wouldn't have died. my excerpt was actually the start of Iago's plans not join in his favor because only Roderigo dies.
No comments:
Post a Comment